Sunday, March 13, 2011

Eggrolls

The other night we had Sweet and Sour Chicken, Fried rice and so I made eggrolls to go with it.  This was the first time I've ever made them and wasn't sure how it would go.  They turned out really, really yummy.  I wasn't thrilled with the texture. I baked them instead of frying and didn't set the timer before we had a catastrophe (we'll just say involved a diaperless 1 year old on the loose, and leave it at that).  So most likely I didn't cook them long enough, I can be a little impatient sometimes, or they would of been fine.  Like I said though they were still excellent.  Oh and I forgot to meantion, they were super easy.



You start off with 1 lb of ground pork or chicken, though I think I will only use 1/2 lb next time.  My husband liked all the meat but it was a little too much for me, either that or I will try to get it into smaller pieces next time. 
While browning your meat sprinkle with the soy sauce and spices.  After your meat is cooked add in your bag of coleslaw mix and let it cook down some about 3 minutes.  You still want your cabbage to be a little firm but not quite crisp. 
 
Using a 1/4 measuring cup scoop out some mix onto your wrapper and tuck the sides in then roll tightly.  Seal with your finger dipped in a little water. 

 Now if your like me I didn't even know you could buy these wrappers.  So you don't have to search all over the place for them I found them in the produce section very close to the bagged salads.  Also you can add in other vegetables, sprouts, or whatever you want to.  Next time I think I am going to try my hand at making my own wrappers.  Not sure though since these were so easy, we'll see. 


Prinable copy:




Egg rolls
adapted from www.groceryshrink.com

1/2 - 1 lb ground turkey (or chicken, pork or shrimp or any combo)

3 Tablespoons soy sauce

1 scant teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 package 16 oz coleslaw mix

10 - 20 egg roll wraps ( I used 20 and was able to freeze some for later)


Place meat in a large skillet (remember your cabbage is going in here next too) and sprinkle with soy sauce and spices.  Brown meat, breaking it up into small pieces, the smaller the better.
 
When meat is cooked and drained, add the coleslaw mix, cook, and stir for 3 minutes or until the veggies are crisp tender.
Place 1/4 cup of mix on a wrapper, if you want bigger egg rolls use 1/2 cup.
 
Fold the sides over.


Bring the bottom corner up and wet the top of the wrapper with your finger dipped in water. Roll the rest of the way up.


You can either fry them or you can bake them.  If you choose to bake them, brush them with olive oil then place in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

*Edited:  I froze the extras I had and they did not reheat as well as I would of liked.  Next time I will probably use 1/2 lb of meat,  fill them a fuller (1/3-1/2 cup), and not make quite as many.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...