I buy my meat in bulk, bring it home, and split it up myself into 3/4 lb baggies. On almost all recipes I use 3/4 lb instead of the typical 1 lb that it calls for, to stretch the dollar just a bit. I will usually add more beans, veggies, or rice to fill up the meal in place of the meat I skip.
I started off browning 3/4 lb of ground beef in a skillet. Then I added an envelope of mild taco seasoning, 1 cup of canned corn (drained), half of a can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed), (I put the remaining pinto beans and canned corn aside for the girls dinner), and a can of sweet onion ranch style beans.
1. Brown 3/4 lb of ground beef in a skillet.
2. Add taco seasoning, corn, and beans to skillet.
3. Heat mixture then transfer to a 9.5-10 inch pie pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Top mixture with 1 cup of shredded cheese.
5. In a separate bowl mix cornbread mix, milk, and egg. Pour over cheese layer.
6. Bake at 375 degree for 15-20 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.