Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Salisbury Steak

Now we can't go the first day without posting a recipe.  So, here goes.

I searched and searched for a Salisbury Steak recipe recently and couldn't find anything that really appealed to me so after looking at quite a few I compiled my own.  Now we had traded some ground deer meat for a pork roast I had (we bought a whole hog this year and I did not want to cook another roast) with a guy at Matthew's work.  I used ground deer meat in my recipe, but you really could use any ground meat you choose.  These turned out so yummy I made enough I thought we were going to have left-overs and we ended up with just a half of one left!  So these were a keeper for sure.

Now keep in mind our family does not like mushrooms, but you could easily add mushrooms to yours if you want to.  I would just add them in with the gravy when you put it on.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of onion soup
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 jar or can of beef gravy
Mushrooms (optional)

Directions

1.  Mix hamburger with 1/4-1/3 cup of the soup then add the breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper.  Be sure to mix thoroughly.

2.  Shape into 6-8 Salisbury steaks and place in a baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and spoon off excess grease.

3.  Now combine remaining soup and can/jar of gravy (and mushrooms if you are using them).  Pour gravy mix over steaks.

4.  Return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.

As I said these were devoured.  I served them with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and green beans.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I'm gonna try this soon. Jeremy is requesting a chicken fried chicken recipe;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your family likes it, we actually had it for dinner again last night. And tell Jeremy I will work on a chicken fried chicken recipe, I was just thinking that a few days ago. Now I'm hungry for one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...